Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

 

The following is the 'log' list for the Wheaty Springtime Ale.

(edit all) (add entry)

March 10, 2010 (5:18 PM)
Finally took a picture of the Wheaty Springtime. I really wish I could produce this kind of head retention consistently. On the other hand, most beers grow on me the more I drink them... with this one, I feel like I don't like it as much now as I did when I first tasted it. Still not bad, just seems imbalanced and perhaps even slightly diacetyl-ish. Still love to pour them, though, just so I can watch the foam.
 
edit
February 24, 2010 (5:15 PM)
Just tasted the first Wheaty Springtime Ale. I don't know what off tastes I was detecting before, but this is one delicious beer. Also, it has by far the best head retention I've had in awhile. It even leaves lacy circles down the glass as I drink it.
 
I don't know if it's the better crush from my own mill, the lower fermentation temperatures, or if maybe this is just a good beer recipe... but whatever the cause, this is definitely a session beer on par with any I've brewed, possibly superior.
edit
February 17, 2010 (3:03 PM)
Also bottled the Wheaty Springtime Ale today. Ended up with 24 12oz bottles, one 16oz bottle, and one 22oz bottle. I'm a little worried about how it will turn out—it seems to taste way too sweet and slightly off (can't really place what kind of "off"... I'll try to name it better after carbing is done). I'm hoping they won't be bottle bombs...
edit
February 12, 2010 (09:59 AM)
This one seems to be pretty much finishing up. Unfortunately, the bucket is slightly too shallow for me to take a hydrometer reading now that the gravity has dropped and the hydrometer floats lower. It's definitely at least down to 1.015 (that's when it starts hitting the trub).
 
I'll probably just bottle this when the dunkel is ready, in about a week or so.
edit
February 4, 2010 (10:06 AM)
Just went down to the basement storage room to check on the fermentation. Since there's no airlock (just a blowoff tube), and the bucket is obviously opaque, I wasn't sure how to check whether any activity had begun. I decided to crack a corner of the lid -- nice krausen forming, great fermentation smell.
 
Until I get one of those sticker thermometers to put on the outside of the bucket, I also don't have a good way to measure fermentation temperature without having to risk contamination by sticking a thermometer into the bucket. My solution is a gallon jug of tap water sitting right next to the bucket on the concrete floor (also being used for blowoff). Even though the yeast activity will heat the bucket a bit, I figure the jug's temperature is a decent approximation. Right now: 62 degrees in the jug. That's near the bottom of the yeast's ideal temperature range, but definitely not too cold (especially if you add a couple degrees of fermentation heat).
edit
February 3, 2010 (5:25 PM)
I'm back to overshooting my target OG -- this time it was like 86% efficiency (which sounds impossible, but the hydrometer ain't lyin').
 
I put this in the 4-gallon bucket, down in the basement storage room, with a blowoff tube (since I didn't have another airlock to spare). Temperatures down there should be a bit closer to ideal than they are in my apartment, but I'll check on it in the morning.
 
Oh, and I used snow to chill the wort! I put the brew pot in the kitchen sink, surrounded it with a bucketload of snow, then added water to make it an icy slurry. Chilled in like 30 minutes.
edit


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips