Winn's Homebrewery
rss feed


The following is the 'log' list for the Dunkelweizen(esque) I.

(edit all) (add entry)

March 10, 2010 (3:36 PM)
Finally bottled the dunkel today. I stupidly forgot to take a FG measurement, but after a month in primary I'm going to assume it's done! I gave it the usual post-priming tasting, and it's definitely an interesting yeast... lots of clovish/banana flavors and some pleasant other things I couldn't place. Has a strange aroma, but perhaps that will be better when it's been bottle conditioned and chilled (and I've never been a huge fan of the weizen yeasts' aromas anyhow).
I'm tentatively hoping it'll be carbed up and ready to share by moving day, March 27th-ish.
March 9, 2010 (07:46 AM)
Still haven't bottled the dunkel -- been too busy apartment hunting and getting ready for my new job. However, it'll be a lot easier to move a couple cases of bottles than a full 5-gallon fermenter, so I do need to bottle this soon. I'm thinking either tonight or tomorrow night, that way it would be ready to crack one open on the 27th/28th, the weekend we're actually moving.
February 18, 2010 (09:04 AM)
The Dunkel(esque) seems to be pretty much finished now, and I'll be bottling it as soon as I have enough bottles. Waiting a bit will only do it good, so I'm not gonna go chugging beer or anything to rush the bottling.
February 12, 2010 (1:59 PM)
A picture of this tasty brew:
February 11, 2010 (12:45 PM)
The dunkelweizen has been at about 65-67°F for a couple days, but not showing much of a sign of activity picking up. I've even roused the yeast a few times, hoping that would help.
I'll take a hydrometer reading this weekend, hopefully it'll have made its way down near my target gravity.
February 9, 2010 (8:48 PM)
Looks like the basement has been getting colder these last couple days. The Dunkelweizen was fermenting at 59°F, and there was barely any activity at all. So, up it came to my bedroom, which should bring it up to at least 65°F. Probably better to have it up here anyhow, so it doesn't have to be carried as far and shaken up as much before bottling.
February 8, 2010 (09:38 AM)
Beautiful dark krausen, lots of churning going on too. Holding steady around 63-64°F. Smells amazing, too.
February 7, 2010 (09:34 AM)
Seven hours after pitching, temperature was down to about 69°F, activity was just getting started (slight krausen, though wort was still calm & clear). I'll keep an eye on the temperature throughout the next couple days, but it's within a "safe" range as far as I'm concerned.
February 7, 2010 (01:21 AM)
Just pitched the yeast for this one. For some reason, this time it took forever to get down to temperature. It was still around 80°F when I pitched, but the fermenter is down in the basement, on a cold concrete floor where it should be steady around 62°F once it stabilizes.
This brew day was a mess -- took a lot longer than usual throughout the process. Sparging never really ran clear, even after the third batch of sparge water, so my efficiency was pretty low (around 62-63%) and OG was about 1.049. I'm sure that's because of the large amount of wheat (and no rice hulls). Next time I brew with this much wheat I'll make sure to plan extra sparging and a longer boil to make up for it.
I also risked contamination because I miscalculated how much cooled water I would need. I had boiled a pot of water and left it covered, cooling. However, even when I mixed that with the cooled wort, it was only about 4.2 gallons. I really wanted the full 5 gallons, though, so I added tap water to the fermenter. Hopefully my yeast wins out against any tap water critters.
February 6, 2010 (12:08 AM)
I just finished milling the grain for this recipe, so I'll probably be brewing it over the weekend sometime. I also updated the recipe to reflect the grain I have in stock.


© 2005–2013 winn phillips