Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

 

The following is the 'log' list for the Rye Blonde Ale.

(edit all) (add entry)

February 13, 2010 (4:46 PM)
Definitely happy with this beer now that I've had a couple of them. Emily claims it's undercarbonated for her tastes, but I think it's pretty perfect. I'll be getting more opinions this evening when I share them with the "public" for the first time. Here's the one I just had:
 

 
I think it would definitely be more accurately described as a blonde ale than a pale ale. I might even rename the damn thing...
edit
February 5, 2010 (5:05 PM)
As the snowstorm started moving in this afternoon, I bottled the RyePA III. Filled all twelve of my 16-oz bottles, one 24-oz bottle, and thirty 12-oz bottles.
 
As usual, I tasted the last bit that wouldn't fill the last bottle. Quite tasty... nicely bitter (but not too bitter), definite hop flavor & aroma. Hard to tell what the body will be like since this was post-priming sugar, but it was tasty. I am a little worried that it will be sedimenty and cloudy. I forgot to use irish moss in this one, and it's definitely still a little cloudy. However, at least it tastes good!
 
Hopefully it won't suffer from my recent tendency toward headlessness. Next update in a week or so when I taste one.
edit
February 3, 2010 (5:28 PM)
So I did an idiotic thing... after sanitizing the hydrometer, I decided to drop it directly into the carboy (since this had worked quite well when I had checked OG). Of course, since the SG had dropped, the hydrometer didn't float as high, and I couldn't get it out.
 
So, I boiled and cooled some water, then added that to the carboy to bring the water level up. I added about a quart of water, so I'm sure I could calculate the ABV% pretty easily.
 
Final gravity reading (before adding water) was somewhere between 1.009 and 1.010, so pretty much unchanged from last week.
edit
January 29, 2010 (5:28 PM)
Just checked the SG -- already down to 1.010 (that's 5.4% ABV)! It's still bubbling away slowly, so I guess it's conceivable it could go lower (though I'm gonna guess it's probably just outgassing at this point).
 
The only reason I care really is that I was considering doing a dry hop, and wanted to put that in as soon as the fermentation had pretty much halted. I'm pretty sure I won't do any dry hopping, though. If there's not enough hoppiness this time around, I'll just learn from my mistake and use more at the end of the boil if I brew this one again.
edit
January 27, 2010 (10:09 AM)
After about a day or day-and-a-half around 62-64F, I pulled it out of the water bath and put it back in the bedroom. The warm spell we had a couple days ago has passed, so it's keeping steady around 67F now, which is pretty much exactly where I'd like it to be.
 
The fermentation has slowed slightly (the krausen has dissipated a bit, bubbles are slowing too), but still churning away steadily. Here's a picture (taken with my phone, since I can't seem to locate my camera):
 
edit
January 25, 2010 (8:28 PM)
Temps started creeping up closer to 70F this afternoon, so into a water bath it went. Now it's down around 64F -- I'll try to keep it around there until fermentation slows a bit. The smell coming out of the airlock is delicious... some fruitiness, but just a really mouth watering yeasty smell.
edit
January 25, 2010 (08:32 AM)
Brewed this last night, and it's bubbling away happily this morning. For the first time in a long time, my efficiency was very low (65%). I suspect that this is because I did a higher-temperature mash (158F), rather than my recent forays into doing a beta amylase step followed by an alpha amylase step. This was largely intentional (though I overshot my target temperature of 156F), since I wanted this beer to be more full-bodied than some of my recent ones.
 
Right now it's fermenting at 68F, and I cracked a window in that room to try to bring it down to 66-67ish, though 68 would be fine.
edit


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips