Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

 

The following is the 'log' list for the Tepache Ale.

(edit all) (add entry)

April 21, 2011 (1:36 PM)
As noted in a separate post, the half-gallon portion has been added to the Sour Ale. The full gallon portion still shows some activity, and I'm still hoping I can manage to forget about it for awhile.
edit
April 5, 2011 (10:43 PM)
There's definitely still some activity in both halves, so I wonder how low this one will go. No sign of anything abnormal in the half-gallon (with the dregs).
edit
April 2, 2011 (1:55 PM)
I transferred the Tepache Ale off the fruit today, since the fermentation seemed to have essentially finished (based on airlock activity). Sure enough, it was down to 1.004, though it looks like there's still some activity in the secondaries post-transfer. The sample tasted very dry and acidic, with a hint of jet fuel, but it was quite pleasant when I added a bit of simple syrup. I'm sure it will taste better when it's had time to mellow a bit.

I ended up getting about a gallon and a half:



The 1-gallon portion will sit in the secondary for a few months, with the hopes that the yeast will be able to clean up after itself and the flavors will meld a bit. The ½ gallon was topped off with some of the Cuvée René dregs, even though it's already fairly sour. I didn't really have a reason for it, just felt like experimenting with that half. It might become undrinkable, but only time will tell.

Here's what the hydro sample looked like:



Since I used a pectin enzyme, I'm hoping most of the haze is yeast that's still suspended, and it'll clear better with time.
edit
March 28, 2011 (10:28 PM)
After a slow start, the tepache was fermenting vigorously this afternoon. And smells wonderful!
edit
March 25, 2011 (10:54 PM)
Got this brew started tonight. Didn't take an OG measurement of the wort before adding the fruit and sugar, so I'll never know what the efficiency was. Even if it was close to zero (which it wasn't), the brown sugar alone would give this enough alcohol to pack a nice punch, though, so I'm not worried on that front.

I decided to go with the Belgian blend slurry from the Belgian half of the RBA II, even though I also have some dry wine yeasts I picked up at the brewing store today. Not sure why, just was a gut instinct on this one.

The concoction smells really great right now (it's cooling, will pitch the yeast momentarily). Fermenting in my 4-gallon bucket, since there would have been very little or no headspace in the new 2-gallon bucket. I set aside the grain from the mash here to do a sour mash in the 2-gallon, might pull that and boil it to add to one of my other beers sometime this weekend. Here's a picture of the fruit/wort mixture in an ice water bath in the sink (lid removed for photo):

edit


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips