Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

 

Associated with Rye Blonde Ale II. You can also view this beer's full log.
 
Edit

January 23, 2011 (11:28 AM)
Brewed the Rye Blonde yesterday, as planned. It was my first experience brewing more than 5 gallons at a time, and it definitely turned out to be far more time consuming than I had expected. I'm sure the sub-freezing temperatures also contributed to the extra time it took to boil and heat water and wort, though.

We were so tired by the time we were cooling the wort, and so cold, that we neglected to take a OG measurement. However, we had about 9.5 gallons prior to the final gallon and a half of sparge water, and that had a SG of about 1.054. Since we added some more (weaker) wort to that with the final sparging, then boiled it back down to about 9.5 gallons, the OG is at a bare minimum 1.054, probably closer to the target of 1.056 or higher.

The two yeasts are already behaving quite differently. We cooled to just over 60°F before pitching. The 1272 was pitched from a small (~500ml) starter, which had not yet reached peak activity. The 575 was direct pitched from the vial, out of a fear of a starter favoring one or more of the three strains in that blend.

By around 2am, when I woke up in the night and decided to check on them, both carboys had heated to around 71°F, so I moved them to the basement. By 8am, they were around 64°, and the 1272 was on the verge of blowing out of its airlock. The 575 was only barely active, so I decided it would prefer being slightly warmer, and moved it back to the main level. A couple hours later, at 68°, it's now cranking away. The 1272 did blow its airlock, which I replaced. Hopefully it'll settle into a more relaxed fermentation now.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips