Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

 

Most of these posts are from the brewer's logs associated with particular beers. However, I'm also going to be posting general brewing blog-esque posts. If you only want to see those, click here.

 
Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Add an entry
Brewer's log, A Wee Bit Stouty, posted November 13, 2013 (09:17 AM).
Fermentation was vigorous for a couple days, enough so that I was very glad I'd rigged a blowout tube instead of an airlock. So, definitely no concerns about the viability of the yeast. Temperatures have been on the low end, 63-65ish.
edit
Brewer's log, Pleasantly Simple Rye Ale, posted November 11, 2013 (8:25 PM).
Fermentation has slowed to a crawl, but still going. Nothing else to report!
edit
Brewer's log, A Wee Bit Stouty, posted November 11, 2013 (8:24 PM).
As indicated in the summary for this brew, it was more a spontaneous collection of existing ingredients than a planned recipe. The efficiency of the mash was abysmal, because my grain mill broke awhile back, so I tried to "crush" it in our food processor, which was mostly a failure. I also didn't include any basic 2-row, which normally I would do. However, I figured there were enough sugars in the extract that all I really needed from the grain were the flavors and colors that would be produced even if I just steeped it a bit.

The yeast was also an experiment of sorts. I had some old jars of yeast saved from prior batches and I wasn't sure it was still viable, so I made a starter. When the starter fermented cleanly (smelled pleasant even), I decided to make this batch and use the starter.

The strains of yeast that went into the starter were equal parts (a spoonful of each) from the yeast cakes from the Wild Ale I and the Farmhouse Ale. The Farmhouse Ale had a combination of four or five yeast strains itself, including the WSP-001 yeast that I collected from dates for the Wild Ale I.
edit
Brewer's log, Pleasantly Simple Rye Ale, posted November 7, 2013 (12:30 AM).
Well, fermentation has been quite vigorous, though finally slowing a bit today. I had to constantly remove, clean, and reinsert the airlock because the krausen kept reaching the top of the fermenter and clogging it. Smells wonderful, looks like healthy fermentation.

The temps were a little high on Sunday morning (hovering around 72), so I kept it immersed in a few inches of cold water in the utility sink, which actually put it a bit on the cool side from mid-Sunday through last night, when I removed it from the swamp cooler. It was bouncing between 62 and 66 for most of that period, and has now been around 68 for the last 24 hours.
edit
Brewer's log, Hard Cider, posted November 3, 2013 (01:38 AM).
Sadly, I got distracted and by the time I was ready to bottle this batch, it had clearly spoiled. So, check this one off as a failure-due-to-neglect.
edit
Brewer's log, Pleasantly Simple Rye Ale, posted November 3, 2013 (01:26 AM).
Just pitched the yeast about an hour ago. All in all it was a successful brew. It is very nice to not have to think about mash efficiency, and I noticed the wort was a lot clearer in the fermenter. I predict a crowd-pleaser.
edit
Brewer's log, Slash / Colorado Ale, posted August 12, 2012 (11:19 PM).
I just realized I have been so busy this summer I haven't even managed to comment on the success of this beer.

It has long-since been consumed. It was refreshing, but had a nice depth of flavor. It could have used a little more hops, but it was never intended to be all that hoppy, so it wasn't much lower than I'd been aiming for. I would do this one again with maybe twice the flavor/aroma hops, perhaps go with some more grapefruity hops.

I will have to dig around for some photos that were taken in Colorado, perhaps steal one from facebook or something, as I neglected to photograph the beer properly.
edit
Brewer's log, Late Winter Warmer, posted May 8, 2012 (9:44 PM).
I just had the last bottle of the LWW this week. It was still good, but I'm not 100% satisfied with it. It was too dry and didn't have enough warmth for my liking. Also, I'm pretty sure the wood would have improved it immensely, so I really regret leaving that out.
edit
Brewer's log, Slash / Colorado Ale, posted May 8, 2012 (9:36 PM).
Just a quick note -- I bottled the /c Ale on Sunday (May 6). The primed wort tasted great! I'm excited to try this one as soon as it's ready, hopefully in about 2 weeks.
edit
Brewer's log, Late Winter Warmer, posted March 19, 2012 (9:41 PM).
Unfortunately, these bottles appear to be developing a pellicle on the surface of the beer. I don't think they were contaminated, it's just that this wild yeast tends to form a slight pellicle. In fact, there was a slight pellicle in the fermenter already (though I don't recall it happening in the bottles the last time I used the yeast).

I put a trial bottle in the fridge tonight, and I'll crack it open tomorrow. I'm expecting it'll need at least another week or so, especially since it sat so long before being bottled, so the yeast was more dormant than usual.
edit


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips