Winn's Homebrewery
Home
B(eer)log
rss feed

Sour Ale

edit

This is mostly an experiment in sour mashing and sourness more generally, not an attempt to make any particular kind of beer. However, I do hope that the product of the experiment will be a drinkable sour beer, akin to a Berliner Weiße, but without the wheat.

I sour mashed the spent grains from the Tepache Ale on March 25, strained out the liquid and added some DME wort on April 5, and Cuvée René dregs a few days later.

Then, on April 17, there was a nice looking pellicle forming. I boiled up a gallon and a half of DME wort at 1.028, and poured them together into the 3-gallon Better Bottle.
Brewer's log (view full log)
The Sour Ale was used as a souring agent for the 108 at bottling today. The rest was dumped, so independent updates for this brew are being discontinued.. . . . . [view full post]
After basically forgetting about this beer/experiment for the last few months, I just pulled it out and took a picture of the crazy pellicle: I'll probab. . . . . [view full post]
Last night—on a whim—I decided to pour the half-gallon portion of the Tepache Ale into the Sour Ale, which had a pellicly-looking krausen going at t. . . . . [view full post]
A couple pictures of the pellicle that was forming in the bucket before I transferred everything into the Better Bottle. . . . . . [view full post]
[None]


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2005–2013 winn phillips